Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Tab container - Progressive enhancement

I am new to AJAX and the control toolkit.

I read about "Graceful degradation/Progressive enhancement" on another site and I am wondering how I can code for it when I use a tab container. I was testing with the AJAX tab container/tab panel but when I disable javascript in the browser, the page with the tab is blank. On some sites using tabs, the result of turning javascript off is different. The page shows atleast the first tab's information but nothing happens when the second tab is selected.

I realize I can add a message - "this site needs javascript to be turned on" or redirect the user to another page if javascript is disabled. I am wondering if there is anything else I can do so the page does not show up blank.

Thanks!

Hi,

May be you can try this.

Add a pure text-based header, set its visibility to hidden via javascript on load.

So that it will be visible if the javascript is disabled.

Hope this helps.


The Toolkit is not supported to work if javascript is turned off. The behavior may not be tuned to gracefully degrade and it is not a scenario we plan to solve since the Toolkit controls all operate in client side ASP.NET AJAX behaviors which need javascript to be turned on and it may be hard to do the same. If you are using the Toolkit on sites which may be expected to work when javascript is turned off then it may need to be taken care of in your code.

No comments:

Post a Comment